A Highly Dangerous f/2.8 Lens Question....$2500 vs. $1000?

Started Jul 10, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ubilam
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,860
Like?
A Highly Dangerous f/2.8 Lens Question....$2500 vs. $1000?
Jul 10, 2012

Maybe I should have checked for a lens comparison first in DPR, but I'm lazy tonight. (point me to a DPR review link if you know of a similar lens comparison... thanks!)

Is there really any IQ difference between the Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8 II USM versus the Sigma AF 24-70 f2.8 IF DG HSM? The price difference is crazy. I own a Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 and am quite happy with it middle to high range zoom. The lower end zoom sucks somewhat on my version, but its 50 to 500mms. Before you post..."go and try them both and see for yourself", I have tried some other L glass (17-40L, etc) and was not ALWAYS impressed in my tests considering the higher cost of 'L' glass. How can there be a $1500 price gap between basically 2 similar lens like these two f/2.8's?

Is the most expensive glass always the best? Is 'L' glass a status symbol or does it truly provide the sharpest image quality versus 3rd party lens? I'll buy a Sigma first, simply because it saves a ton on gear cost... and if the IQ sucks, I'll return it and try something else. You?

Thanks.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow