Survivor of Pearl Harbour, oldest flying one of its type, resides at Duxford.

Started Jul 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
lancespring
Senior MemberPosts: 2,393Gear list
Like?
Re: Survivor of Pearl Harbour, oldest flying one of its type, resides at Duxford.
In reply to katman68, Jul 9, 2012

katman68 wrote:

I noticed it has some extra firepower(appear to be cannons?)in the nose compared to the 1/32 scale Flying Tiger version I built several yrs back. I'm more an expert on the P-38, but am guessing maybe that's due to it being a later P-40? I actually don't recall this on any P-40's I've seen but like said am no expert on them just the 38! Am still dreaming to see THAT one in person one day... lol

Mark: Early model P-40's had a cylinder shaped carburetor intake above the nose. That must be what you are mistaking for a canon. They also had two nose mounted machine guns.

Later models did had a different look for the intake, and also did not have any nose mounted guns.

Your model must have been a P40-E, P40-F, or maybe even a P40-N

Here are some photos of some early P40-C's in flight. Note the intake on the nose, with a machine gun on either side.

lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow