Started Jul 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Henk-Jan
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Olympus: "Ticking sound in TG-1 vids is normal and "within specs."
Jul 9, 2012

After reviewing the first video's I made with my new TG-1 last week, I noticed a very annoying ticking sound, that turned up in all the vids. When I read the full manual on CD that night, I noticed that Olympus actually mentions this: apparently this ticking sound can turn up if the video sound is set to 'normal', but should - according to the manual - go away if the video sound is set to 'low'. I tried this of course, but the ticking sound was still there, in every single video I shot.

So I contacted Olympus (Netherlands), explained the problem, included 2 sample vids (one set to 'normal', one set to 'low') and asked them what they could do for me. A couple of days later I received an e-mail with the advice to set the video sound to 'low'. So I called them to explain that I already followed that advice from the manual (as I had told them explicitly in my first e-mail), but that this didn't solve the problem.

To my surprise, the lady from Olympus then told me the ticking sound was normal for video's of this type of waterproof camera, even if the video sound was set to 'low'. I asked her what the point (then) was of the advice in the manual to set the video sound to 'low', why other waterproof camera's apparently don't have this problem at all, why (as I suspect) even most TG-1's don't have this problem, and others questions along this line, but she insisted that this was no defect of the camera; it was a 'specific characteristic of the camera', as she literally stated, so "regrettably Olympus can't do anything for you sir."

I was stunned and dissappointed at the same time. Stunned by the fact that Olympus explicitly stated that annoying ticking video sounds (don't worry, samples below) in their waterproof camera's are considered perfectly normal. Disappointed because I was so perfectly happy with the rest of the camera. Great 2.0 lens, fast performance, very good image quality (esp. high iso and macro) for its class and nice, functional body design. Also, I still can't believe that the service of Olympus is at the level that they simply refuse to give a customer a camera without that annoying ticking video sound, where that solution (as I deduct from the absense of similar complaints on the net so far) is within reach.

Bottom line: be aware that Olympus (at least in The Netherlands) will not grant any warranty claims based on this issue.

Question: are there other people with this specific problem? If so, what happened?

Finally, the samples (tell me what you think, would you buy a $400 (€400) camera with video sound like that?):

http://youtu.be/jTEQZoTMX8o

http://youtu.be/MreW8vuBO3c

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow