Moving from Olympus to Canon or Nikon

Started Jun 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
The Skipper
Contributing MemberPosts: 872
Like?
Re: Moving from Olympus to Canon or Nikon
In reply to bofo777, Jul 9, 2012

bofo777 wrote:

For me Olympus equipment definitely rocks my boat. So why in the world would I want to switch?????

I have the Oly E-PL2, and it is easily the worst camera I have ever owned (and in the 33 years that I have been in photography, I have owned a lot, including the OM-1 which I liked).

The AF is fast but has a lower hit rate than I find acceptable (IMO it sacrificed focus accuracy for speed).

Face detection is next to useless, it has a hit rate of about 50%. In some cases, I have to half-press the shutter button a dozen times before it finds the faces. This was a shock to me, because even my cheap (& old) SD-870IS has a hit rate of over 90%. When I tried the D800 recently, the face detection was perfect even with its very shallow DOF. I just assumed it is a commodity feature that works.

Personally I would not buy the camera again because of the above 2 issues. Improperly exposed photos can be compensated for in PP, but out of focus images are for the garbage bin.

The IBIS works great when it is needed. However, when I shoot in the 1/80 to 1/125 range, the photos sometimes look slightly fuzzy. Originally I thought it was me, but it goes away if I switch off IBIS. I have never owned a camera where I have to manually turn on/off the IBIS (it is absurd to have to keep an eye on whether I am in the shutter speed 'zone' ... by the time you turn on or off the IBIS, the shot is gone, unless I dedicate one of the valuable buttons to it).

This was something that I just discovered (I originally thought this did not affect my camera).

Anyways, I am getting rid of this camera in the next week or so. When one buys a camera, one invests lots of time becoming familiar with it. In my case, it was time wasted.

I cannot say that I will never again buy another Olympus, but if I do, it will have to be something special & from a vendor with a very liberal return policy.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow