Started Jul 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jdurant
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Request for Lens Advice
Jul 9, 2012

I currently own a Canon T1i (550D) with the 18-55 kit lens and the 50 1.8, and I’m looking to purchase my next lens. I should state I am not a professional photographer and I don’t intend to earn a living, but I am a technically proficient amateur. In purchasing a lens I am looking for a lens that will be used to take photos of important family events and vacation photos as well as more artistics photos. I would prefer not to spend more than $500 for my lens(es). After some research, I’ve identified

Canon 17-85 3-5.6 (How much of an upgrade would this be over the kit other than the slight increase in reach?)

Tamron 17-50 2.8 (Would not offer much in the way of new focal lengths for experimentation with composition, but would be more useful in low light.)

Tamron 70-300 ( a well reviewed lens that whose focal lengths would complement the kit lens)

Tamron 18-270 PZD (All in one with some compromises in optical quality. Useful for travel and a variety of events. How does the optical quality compare to the kit? Better? Worse? The same?

Canon 18-135 (Wait for STM?) (Is it optically better than the 18-270? Would I get better IQ with less reach?)

Canon 18-200 (Same as above)

Are there any other lenses that are a good value for around $500 that I should consider?

Last option:

Save a little more for the Canon 15-85 (Is the improvement worth the extra cost?

Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow