Capri island or Amalfi coast in Italy on a shore excursion?

Started Jul 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Alekhine
Senior MemberPosts: 1,390Gear list
Like?
Re: Capri island or Amalfi coast in Italy on a shore excursion?
In reply to georgec, Jul 9, 2012

georgec wrote:

Hi , I am to go on a Princess Ruby cruise this Summer. One stop is Naples. I have two choices on the shore excursion
1) 9 hr $180

Naples -------------> Amalfi coast, cruise/village------> Pompeii (lunch) ------ > Naples.
2 hr 3 hr
or
2) 10 hr $240

Naples -----------> Pompeii---------> Sorrento (lunch)--------> Capri island ------> Naples
2hr 2h 2 hr

Option one has 3 hours in Pompeii vs Option 2 has 2 hours in Pompeii

My questions is
Is 2 hour guided tour enough to cover most of the Pompeii?
Is Capri island better than Amalifi coast? or similar

Is it better to see Amalfi coast from sea by a boat , or better to see it from cliff. I found it is hard to take photos if I take the land option by coach. It may be better to take photos from a boat while it go alone the Amalfi coast

But if Capri is much better, I am wailing to take that option.

There is a time limitation by the cruise so I decide to take one of the option offered by the cruise. I know someone missed the boat and have to get on a speedboat and chase the cruise ship.
If you have been to both places , please give your advice. It is tough I know.
Thanks.

Hi george,

I live here so I could give you some suggestions, but keep in mind that's just all about personal taste. One could prefer amalfi over capri and viceversa.

Capri is a wondeful island and may offer great opportunities for landscape photography (I'm assuming you are interested in landscape), even though you should know where to go and especially what time of the day.
Capri is expensive! Amalfi coast as well but perhaps a little less.

Shoting amalfi coast can be quite tricky as actually the sun sets behind the surrounding mountains and not on the sea, thus you won't have good light unless you shoot very early in the morning.

For sure it's a better idea shooting the coast from the boat, while it's much better to see it from cliffs. If you decide to get off the boat then don't miss Amalfi and Ravello.
The ancient Pompei is a must see.
Hope this helps...
have a nice trip!
Guido

-- hide signature --

Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.
Oscar Wilde

http://www.guidotramontano.com

Alekhine's gear list:Alekhine's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow