Started Jul 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
gteague
Senior MemberPosts: 1,002Gear list
Like?
panasonic 12-35/2.8 @amazon.com
Jul 9, 2012

just cancelled my order. but perhaps not for any of the reasons you're thinking. i had just placed two new orders with amazon and all of a sudden realized they'd charged me sales tax for the first time--i'm in texas. and yes, i knew it was coming, i'd just forgotten the date they were implementing it. now that's bad enough and i won't get into my total disagreement with them collecting texas sales tax when i can't walk into an amazon store and buy stuff.

but i checked two of my open orders--the rx100 and the 12-35 lens and saw that even though i'd ordered these items the first part of june and gotten several emails confirming the original price, the invoice detail now showed they were planning on charging me sales tax without letting me know !

anyone who buys from amazon regularly knows that if the price of an item you've ordered decreases before they ship it, amazon will happily tell you about it. but evidently they don't feel the same about notifications if things go the other way. and yes, i realize the actual price of the item hasn't changed, but that is no excuse. if you get an order confirmation at a certain price, then you should be informed if the seller is going to charge you more than they've confirmed.

i sent them emails complaining and i called and complained as well. they were very nice and even said they would refund the sales tax on the rx100 if i remembered to contact them after it arrived. but i told them they were going to lose thousands of dollars of my business and indeed i cancelled my order for the panasonic 12-35 lens for $1299 since they were planning on charging me $103 dollars in sales tax and the first i would have known about it was when i saw an invoice or an electronic charge on my credit card.

i'm no accountant and have no desire to be, but that behavior is totally unacceptable to me. i hope anyone from texas reading this will check their open orders and complain if they have a nasty surprise awaiting them.

ok. done venting now. hope whoever gets my place in the amazon lens line appreciates it. [g]

-- hide signature --

/ guy

The world is going to pieces and people like Adams and Weston are photographing rocks! ~Henri Cartier-Bresson

gteague's gear list:gteague's gear list
RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +5 more
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow