ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,845Gear list
Like?
650D: I'm starting to become seriously impressed
Jul 9, 2012

Hi all,

Last weekend I was out with the new camera putting it through its paces shooting BIFs (a very challenging subject for the shooter And the camera). Its AF acquisition, tracking ability, and focus accuracy were excellent IMHO. I felt that the IQ was also very good. I posted some samples in this thread...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1031&thread=41939641

Well, yesterday was spent with my sister's family, and I got to take her kids out on their very first fishing expedition (off the end of the dock). After we cleaned the worm juice and fish slime out of our hair (ahem), we sat out on the patio enjoying the beautiful day. Keeping the faith I of course grabbed the 650D and started taking some casual snaps.

I had the new 18-55 IS II kit lens on, and was shooting it wide open (we were in the shade late in the day), and were just sitting across the table from each other. Now even with just the kit lens, I found the PDAF to be pretty snappy (noisy of course, but snappy). It was also Very accurate, and showed no signs of FF/BF or inconsistency. All in all, I was very satisfied with the entire shooting experience, especially now that I had a new superfast SDHC card loaded into it (highly recommend you do this).

Well, when I got the photos loaded on my computer today, I was really even more impressed (with the Lens AND the Sensor ). These were shot in RAW, converted in DPP, sent to Photoshop as 16 bit aRGB TIFFs, and uploaded to the web as compressed JPEGs. No noise reduction was applied, no in-camera sharpening (sharpening was done as a last step in Photoshop).

Shot at 1/125 sec @ f5.0, ISO 400 at 40mm...

And a 100% crop here...

As I get more time, I'll try to add more samples.

Hope this helps in your evaluation.

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.

http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i) Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow