ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Stompie
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
E-TTL vs TTL Wireless triggers
Jul 9, 2012

Hey guys.

I am a budding, enthusiastic but amateur photographer. I have recently aquired an umbrella and stand to further my interest in studio photography. At the moment i have only one 580 EXII that i use, and i trigger it with the "wireless" flash from my 7D.

I would like to one day expand my lighting kit in the future but i realise i may need something that is radio "wireless" instead on flash "wireless".

What i need your advice and help with is first of all do i need a radio wireless setup if i was to use two speedlights? Or if i was to upgrade to some proper studio lights?

If so, is E-TTL or TTL the way forward? Buy that i mean, is it worth spending the money on the more expensive E-TTL units for what i would use it for (two umbrellas, two studio lights and possibly outdoor settings on occasion)

I have researched the difference between E-TTL and TTL, but to be honest, im a little uncertain as to which one would best suit me. Future proofing should also be a factor.

Also are the two units exclusive to one another? IE: can E-TTL do TTL and visa versa?
Does the type and quality of lense have any bearing on what system to use?

I have heard many people say that Phottix and Pocketwizard are briliant, but for my needs, is it worth paying the high prices? Are there alternatives to these two brands with siilar quality?

At the end of the day i would like to be able to trigger radio "wirelessly" a number of either speedlights, or studio lights without having to rely on a pre flash from the camera. Thats the long term goal.....i need your help to set me in the right direction.

Thanks heaps guys:)

Stompie's gear list:Stompie's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +6 more
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow