Started Jul 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Canadapt
New MemberPosts: 20Gear list
Like?
New NEX 7 purchase ... day 3 ... first impressions and a query about setup
Jul 8, 2012

It was with a lot of trepidation and a little excitement that I forked over the money to buy the NEX 7! I'm an 'old school' photographer and this is a completely new kind of camera to me. My first 'serious' camera was a Canon FTbn shooting almost exclusively Kodachrome 25 in those days. I owned a Leicaflex for a time and regretted selling it shortly after I sent it off. I suppose it was the slowness of K25 that brought me to Minolta when I decided to get my first digital SLR (a 7D) - they were the only ones doing in-body stabilization - a feature which I coveted. When Sony took over Minolta I was convinced they would ruin things but they didn't ... I bought a Sony a A700 and was very pleased with it and remain so to this day but I wanted something smaller for when I am travelling. Lugging around all those lenses with that body isn't on for me anymore, hence, a NEX 7 is now in my bag.

After only 3 days of use - most of that spent trying to customize all of the buttons and wheels to my liking - I confess that I am smiling more broadly each time I pick it up. I think this is going be my 'go to' camera and my A700 might actually spend enough time on the shelf to collect some dust (although I have no inclination to sell it).

My query to those of you with more than 3 days of experience with this camera is .... what do you think is an optimal setting for the all of the customizable controls on the NEX 7? I shoot only RAW and the default setup seems to be tailored to those who shoot only jpeg's? I shoot on aperture priority about 90% of the time with the occasional use of both shutter priority and manual when the situation warrants their use. I am pretty satisfied with the auto ISO feature on the NEX so far ... I probably use exposure compensation on 99% of my shots. I like to spot meter occasionally but usually use the matrix metering on the cameras I have owned. I recognize we are all different in our preferences but I think I could profit from those who have more experience with the NEX giving me their advice on set-up. It is so flexible that the possibilities are bewildering and you have probably thought of things that I will only learn after months of use.

Cheers and thanks in advance for your counsel.

Canadapt's gear list:Canadapt's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 +5 more
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow