Started Jul 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jeff Salvage
Regular MemberPosts: 203
Like?
From a 1Ds Mark III to the 5D Mark III - Olympic Trials Real World Test
Jul 8, 2012

A funny thing happened after ordering a 1DX when it first came out and waiting for it to arrive. The 5D Mark III came out. While the features of the 1DX beat the 5D in most cases, would the 5D Mark iii be good enough to replace my 1Ds Mark III? Would it even be an upgrade? I sold my 1Ds Mark iii for a little less than I paid for the 5D Mark iii. So the cost wasn't much and obviously significantly less than the 1Dx. I shoot both sports (Track and Field, specifically race walking) and a lot of hiking/fashion stuff (see http://www.onedressonewoman.com and http://www.greattreks.com ). So I need a versatile camera. Both the 5D and 1Dx would fit the bill, but would the 1Dx be worth the difference and the extra weight? I recently developed shoulder issues, so less weight is suddenly an issue for me.

So after getting the 5D I was concerned if I cheaped out. The main feature I wanted over the 1Ds Mark III was the low light shooting. The lower weight was a bonus as well. I took a test shot with my dog under two candle lights with the candles a meter from her. She is a chocolate lab, so dark and very hard to focus in poor light. Without the flash autofocus assist, it couldn't focus. With the autofocus assist it worked great and the quality at 12800 ISO was very usable.

The real test was going to the Olympic Trials. Sure I was jealous of the 10-12 fps snappers, but I knew where and what the race walkers would do so 6 fps would be fine. As it turns out, I didn't miss the fps. I shot with a 128 GB Lexar 1000x CF card and a Sandisk 45mb/s SD card. The major drawback of the 5D was the buffer with RAW/JPG was only 7 shots. Normally for sports I didn't shoot RAW/JPG but JPG/JPG to the two cards. However, not knowing what the results would be like, I wanted the RAW in case I needed to adjust the pictures more than I was used to. The cards cleared the buffer in what seemed like 2 seconds and I almost never had to wait for the camera to clear. Having two massive cards is great. I have always been a believer cards seldom fail and usually if they do it's when you are pulling them in and out of the camera. The fear of losing them is much greater for me. So this means I can shoot an entire trip without worrying about changing them.

These photos were jpgs with very little sharpening applied.

The photos were as good or better than my 1Ds shooting at 400 ISO. I did find I missed the vertical trigger/grip much more than I thought I would. The battery life was incredible. I bought two extra batteries and never touched them. I used about 1/2 of 1 battery and shot over 3,000 photos. I didn't experience any of the issues some claimed that the "lesser" battery wouldn't drive the autofocus. To my perception it felt faster than the 1DS. I was blessed with very overcast skys, so I got great exposure. Normally I fight shadows in the faces of the walkers and didn't have that here. I think it was more due to the light than the camera. The new menu system and the Q button make life really easy and are a huge upgrade for quick changes under time pressure. I did worry when it started raining toward the end of the race, but it wasn't an issue.

Overall, so far, for me, I made the right purchase. I used the extra $ I saved and bought 3 600EX's and am getting rid of my pocket wizards which I struggled with their interference and kludgey solution for fixing it.

The next test is Iceland and Norway, hiking and with my wife and her wedding dress. I will report back how it does.

Jeff Salvage

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow