V/F delay - why has nobody questioned this?

Started Jul 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Michael J Davis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,365Gear list
Like?
Re: Have you actually used a contemporary EVF?
In reply to Lights, Jul 8, 2012

Lights wrote:

I was just testing this on my EPL1. One eye on the EVF (VF2) and the other on my computer screen. I'd hit the up and down arrows on the keyboard and could determine no lag at all between eyes as the screen would move up and down. I also performed a test on an "online" stopwatch site the other day, which would measure things in milliseconds...with my Sigma 19 I was running at around 400-500ms auto focus to shot speed, while using the EVF (took about 10 shots and all but a couple were within those parameters). So obviously doesn't lag so badly, since the EPL1 isn't noted for focus speed. I've never noticed tearing, or lag either. Not any comparison between some early point and shoots I've used.

That's interesting, Barri, and if it has improved that much[1], my other point that it never gets mentioned in reviews is more valid.

[1] Having over the years been involved in human response times and the psychology of perception, I'm sceptical in that providing one's own input dulls the ability to recognise different responses. Far better to measure a genuinely random change. (The one I used seems to be a fixed delay, but at a sufficiently long interval to avoid prediction - or so I think!)

Of course an OVF is going to be a little quicker, but I don't know, and have never noticed any comparable difference in my OVF cameras..if there is a noticeable difference, maybe I just am too slow to notice it. And I could see where setting the frame rate on the OMD could make a difference.

I assume you mean between the OVF and the EPL1. I'm surprised!

thanks for commenting

Mike
--
Mike Davis
Photographing the public for over 50 years
http://www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

Michael J Davis's gear list:Michael J Davis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow