Started Apr 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,601Gear list
Like?
Re: Good bag for the EM5
In reply to Gigi B, Jul 8, 2012

Hello,

The bag sounds very nice.

Can you post a few pics of the inside of the bag, open?

Thank you.

Gigi B wrote:

I've been hunting for the ideal bag too, and found the Olympus Bag for the E-M5 at B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/873905-REG/Olympus_260124_Messenger_Bag_for_OM_D.html

As there isn't a review yet, I'll give a full description, and hope this helps :

It's a very nice bag, made of what appears to be a nice cotton canvas, only a smidgen thinner than the Domke canvas.

The strap is sewn on, rather than detachable, and made of a sturdy woven webbing which also comes with an adequate shoulder pad.

There is no external velcro, the silver clasp that easily slips in and out of a loop of webbing has "Olympus" engraved on it, which is the only branding, so it doesn't scream 'Expensive Camera inside this Bag' !
The two zippered pockets on the outside of the flap are handy for lens caps etc.

When you lift the flap, there are two handy pockets 4 1/4" wide by 6" deep, with a useful slot for a pen, though it's too narrow for a Lenspen.

Under the handle part of the flap there is a 3 1/2" wide zippered mesh pocket, the length of the bag.

The flap also has a folding flap on each side, so when the flap is closed, it keeps out the weather and gives security.

There are also 2 pockets on the side of the bag, below the sewn strap, the width of the bag.
There is no external pocket on the back of the bag.

The padding of the entire bag is about 1/4" thick, with a divider at the rear for an ipad or whatever.

The grey lining material on the inside is a little loose, and a tad thinner than I prefer, but it's soft and non scratchy.

It comes with a set of 4 dividers, 2 of which are in two parts, so you customise to your preference.
there is also a removable soft base pad to give extra padding.
The inside dimensions are : 11" wide, by 4" deep by 8" high.

As there are no zippers around the top flap, like the Domke 5-XB, and it is so flexible, you can easily put an E-M5 with the full grip attached inside.

The whole bag being soft and flexible easily moulds to your body when wearing it, is is comfortable to wear and use.

At $49.99 it's reasonably priced, and a great excuse to get a few other little items at the same time to make the cost of the shipping worthwhile
(Orders up to AU $1000 including freight are duty free to Australia.)

BTW, the Domke insert Domke FA-230 3-Compartment Insert fits neatly inside it too, which gives extra padding and support, though it makes the inside a little narrower unless you remove the styrene foam padding from the insert. This gives a nicer interior finish than the original grey material, and still gives you the flexibility to put in the camera with grip attached.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/16065-REG/Domke_720_230_FA_230_Insert.html

The picture on the current B&H page is out of date, the insert actually has the soft grey material on the inside, with 2 velcro adjustable dividers.
I'm still working on the best divider configuration !

It's almost the perfect bag, and I have a collection of Domkes which are great bags, but not quite perfect !
--
My Gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23773763@N07/

-- hide signature --

Like others here, I suffer from chronic GAS.
Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
a few hundred nautical miles SW : 17º 52S, 149º 56W

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow