Short Photoessay: Goose Drama at the Marsh

Started Jul 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
peppermonkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,490Gear list
Like?
Re: Short Photoessay: Goose Drama at the Marsh
In reply to Jim F, Jul 8, 2012

Jim F wrote:

Don't kill the messenger (me). I think the primary reason no one wants to care for an injured Canada Goose is they are considered by many to be pests; flying rodents in the class of seagulls. Canada Goose are as common as the house fly, especially in the east and midwest. They crap everywhere and multiply like rabbits. They also will imprint on a location and will return to that area year after year. (have unpleasant experiences with that.)

I appreciate and respect someone's sensitivities to all living creatures. That said, not many folks would consider one Canada Goose to be worth the effort to nurture it long term. If that was a bald eagle or another species subjectively viewed as worthy of ongoing TLC, the story would likely be different.

I never could understand why it's called a Canada Goose, and it's fairly well respected by Canadians...well, those that aren't frequented by them in any case. I suppose I'll Google it later to find out.

On the other hand, it's weird there are so many well respected or even loved animals/birds etc. that are pests and are hated by the locals.

Ask anyone from Australia and they are more likely to shoot a kangaroo on sight than to go 'ahhh' at one. Same with Possums. Both considered to be terrorist rodents. Yet beloved by the world.

Heck, the Beaver is our national animal but they probably have created more wonton destruction than any living animal today.

Sorry, went off topic didn't I? Lol. Regardless of all this, it's still hard to watch any living being suffer (well, beyond bugs and such...)

-- hide signature --

Hubert

My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Fed 2, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky, Olympus 35 RD

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow