Backpack for Canon 500mm F4

Started Jul 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ben_Egbert
Forum ProPosts: 20,228Gear list
Like?
Re: Backpack for Canon 500mm F4
In reply to bridgedale, Jul 7, 2012

bridgedale wrote:

Thanks! The reason I asked was that you have showed us a number of great landscape photos, but I thought most of these were taken with the 17mm (and 24 TS-E) lenses. I bought the 500mm lens from a landscape photographer. I bought it for birds (if I can find any), but I have started to realize that it may be used for landscapes as well. This lens will let you pick out parts of a landscape with good light (I have not tried that myself yet).

The buyer worked for Canon and also printed (and sold) large landscape posters. When I heard he had used it for landscape photos I asked him if he was disappointed with the fact that Canon was behind as far as number of MP is concerned, and despite he was working for Canon it was clear that he would have liked more pixels. (But he was quick to stress that the light was the most important factor).

Personally I am not worried about MP at all, but then again I have never printed A2 size.

Long lens landscapes tend to look hazy because it is hazy most times, and this haze (even light haze) is compressed. I like a crystal clear look.

I also wanted more pixels. but I can print 30 inches wide with 21mpixels if I have a sharp image taken in good light with good contrast. Next to light, the lens is most important. But it has to be perfectly focused.

-- hide signature --

What I see when I open the image and view it at 100% is very important to my overall attitude toward a final print. When I look at the print I know what’s there and what I had to do to get there. For me, good enough does not work.

http://ben-egbert.smugmug.com/

Ben

Ben_Egbert's gear list:Ben_Egbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow