Started Jul 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
PictureLake
Regular MemberPosts: 212Gear list
Like?
TG-1: Some disappointments
Jul 8, 2012

My TG-1 came yesterday. I haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet, but this morning I noticed something quite disappointing:

I thought perhaps there might be a mark on the lens (it really would've been nice to have a sliding plastic cover to protect it), but the lens appears to be perfectly clean. But, the mark is not nearly as noticeable at wide angle as it is at telephoto (the shot above), even though the wide angle was at f/8 compared to f/5.6 for the tele. That makes me think it is NOT a spot on the sensor. Does anyone have a clue what the problem could be?

I'm also somewhat disappointed by my video test results so far. The focus seems to hunt sometimes, but maybe that’s just the nature of the beast (I’ve never had autofocus in video before). I might be able to fix that by trying other focus settings (I haven't read the manual yet, ha, ha). But what bothers me much more is the terrible jello / wobbly effect that happens every so often. Doesn’t seem to matter if I’m using IS or not, except it might happen a bit more often with it on (again, not enough test shots yet).

I find it odd that the colors in a video are so different from the jpg. Perhaps if I set it to daylight WB they'd come out more closely? Video clips are much more saturated and contrasty compared to photos (though the latter probably is more realistic).

Things that I do like include the speed; it seems very responsive so far. When I power it up, it's ready to shoot in a second or less. And if I shut off image review, it's ready immediately to shoot one after another. The menu system is very intuitive, as are the controls.

Oh, well. I'm going to continue to play with it as time goes on. Since I don't think I have enough time to return it and get a replacement before my trip, I'm afraid I have to use it with the spot. It's not a big deal for photos, but it sucks in videos.

PictureLake's gear list:PictureLake's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow