D800 Quickie Moon Shots w/2500mm f/10

Started Jul 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Michael Harvey
Contributing MemberPosts: 517Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 Quickie Moon Shots w/2500mm f/10
In reply to Valentin Hertz, Jul 7, 2012

Valentin Hertz wrote:

What Meade model you use and how much was it if you don't mind?

Hi... It's a 10" LX200 from the first production run of the ACF series.

I'm a beta-tester for several telescope manufacturers (including Meade), so there was no cost involved. But, the standard package sells for $3500.

The ACF series has, in my opinion, revolutionized the Schmidt-Cassegrain design and made it a truly "serious" telescope (Celestron has also improved their product with the HD series). The field has been corrected to an almost unbelievable degree.

This not only means that stars are absolute pinpoints, edge-to-edge...but the entire field has been corrected for coma.That means vastly improved contrast and sharper images of extended objects as well.

The 10" is my "home scope". To reply to another poster who mentioned the difficulty/ aggravation of handling a scope of this size and weight: It's mounted on a 'Scope Cart'. All I do is grab the handle, roll it out into the driveway, raise the wheels...and I'm good-to-go. No fuss, no muss, no heavy lifting. Takes less than five minutes. When I'm done observing - lower the wheels and roll it back into the garage. I don't see how it could be any easier or quicker!

-- hide signature --

Mike Harvey

Michael Harvey's gear list:Michael Harvey's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow