Should I get the Oly 45mm?

Started Jul 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,346Gear list
Like?
Re: Should I get the Oly 45mm?
In reply to Jun2, Jul 7, 2012

Jun2 wrote:

I put a link, but blocked by DPR. Just do a google search on Super-Takumar, SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4. You will see the comments on lens. used to cost about $50 on ebay 2 years ago. Now upto $150. There are several variations of the lens. The version with SMC coating and 8 blades costs even more. Mine (6 blade) is useable at f1.4, very sharp at 2.0, very nice bokeh. Flare is well controlled even without SMC coating. Mine only has 6 blade. The bokeh of 8-blade version is even better. Manual focus ring is silky smooth. Many film makers on low budgets buy the lens.

I can say much the same for my Minolta MD 50/1.4, tested to roughly on a par with the Leica Summilux R 50/1.4.

http://www3.xitek.com/papers/xitek/xitek-429.htm

Nevertheless, the 45/1.8 puts it to shame at wider apertures.

Anders W wrote:

Jun2 wrote:

Pentax SMC 50mm f1.4 is an amazing lens. Oly 45mm will offer you AF.
Not sure optical will be better.

It certainly will. If you have proof to the contrary, please show it.

The differences between legacy lenses of this generation are only marginal by comparison as you can see here:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41946901

The SMC 50/1.4 is no exception to the rules of its time.

I have Super-Takumar (not as good as SMC), is plenty sharp at f2.0. Anything sharper than that is too sharp for portrait (need to soften up in the post).

That depends on what kind of portraits you like to make. And whether you want to use the lens for purposes other than portraits. Not all portraits are made for the purpose of "beautification" and I certainly find uses other than portraits for my 45/1.8.

In addition, the 45/1.8 is superior in regards other than sharpness, for example "purple fringing" (LoCA in in-focus areas) and bokeh.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
HazeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow