Started Jul 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Maxseven
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?
Another Misnomer? What is meant by
Jul 7, 2012

I was reading dpreviews article on the Nikon 50mm G lens, and came across something rather odd looking to my eyes. By now, and with great struggle to comprehend, most all know what "100% Crop" means, even though the wording remains foolish and utterly not intuitive. In fact it should be written "100% View, Cropped."

Today, I see some samples with a caption of "50% Crop" in the article page below:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/nikon_50_1p4g_n15/4

(Scroll down a bit in the review to find the examples.)

What is odd, is that the samples do not look like a "50% Crop" - they look much closer than that. If we assume that "50% Crop" is (and should be) analogous to "100% Crop," i.e. the translation is "50% View, Cropped," then that means that the article's captions are incorrect. It is also possible that another "dip-sh*t" term has been invented, where they really mean "150% Crop," but decided that it would be too easy to understand. Another possibility is that they have performed a "100% Crop" and then done further cropping by some arbitrary amount?

Whomever comes up with this stuff has a screw loose

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow