Started Jul 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TonyEEEE
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?
When is it no Longer "New" and now a "Demo?"
Jul 7, 2012

2 Examples, both from the same NYC Photography Superstore, walk-in purchase. What is very telling is that they did not have a display item or demo of either of the items:

1. I purchased a Tamron lens, packaging looks good, but when I open the box and unpack everything, the lens caps are not on the lens (which was wrapped in the protective padded paper) but were loose on the top cardboard tray with the instructions. This has not been my experience with ANY lens I have purchased, including Tamron, they have always been attached.

2. I purchased a Sony A 580, again all looks good, all little tags, etc. attached, but when I put the battery in, the date and time were already set and the first picture I took was No. 00005.

In the first case, I am speculating a customer wanted to see and hold the lens, perhaps even put it on their camera and took a few shots?

In the second, someone definitely gave the camera a try, 4 tries, technically.

I did not follow up on either of these, although I probably should have at least with the camera. But I bought it right before they closed Friday afternoon and needed it for a wedding Sunday. Of course I will never buy anything from this place again (good thing there are others in NYC), but was curious if others' have had similar concerns. And does anyone know why manufacturers do not factory seal the boxes?

And what are your thoughts on when does it become a "demo?" I think the camera definitely crossed that line!

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WaltNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow