Started Jul 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bill Hollinger
Senior MemberPosts: 1,055
Like?
Lost Firewire ports in storm - need to replace them
Jul 7, 2012

I have an old Mac Pro 1,1 Dual-Core Intel Xeon 3 GHz, 4 core. It and my RAID drives are plugged into APC battery back ups. Before the storms that robbed so many of us of power for multiple days came through, I turned the computer and RAID drives off, but did not unplug them from the APC units. I started everything up yesterday afternoon, and the RAID drives would not mount on my desktop - however, they did mount on my MacBook Pro via firewire 800. Apparently the firewire ports on the old MacPro were zapped in the storm, because the RAID drives will mount (and I can access and work on files) using the USB connection. USB on the Mac Pro is USB 1.

I have been waiting for a new Mac Pro to upgrade the old one, which I used for photo and video processing. Yesterday evening I called Apple and ordered an iMac to use in the interim. I wanted to get the Retina MacBook Pro instead, but it takes 4 weeks to get one, and worse, there is no Firewire 800, and no Thunderbolt to firewire cable available yet.

I tried the firewire 400 and 800 ports on the Mac Pro with a variety of HDs, and none work. I guess the USB ports are not on the same connection with the firewire ports. Does anyone have any suggestions on where and what I can but to replace the damaged Firewire ports on the old Mac Pro? Maybe it is possible, at the same time, to upgrade the USB to 2, or even 3?

Also, I didn’t realize that a computer plugged into an APC could be damaged in a storm - It was turned off, but does it also have to be unplugged?

Thanks!

Bill

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow