E-M5 artefacts at ISO 200: normal or faulty camera?

Started Jul 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
steve mallen
Regular MemberPosts: 392
Like?
E-M5 artefacts at ISO 200: normal or faulty camera?
Jul 7, 2012

Hi all,

Got my new OM-D last weekend and was very excited to get back home and start using it. Been taking a few test shots and overall I'm very happy with the speed, weight and feel of the camera. But worryingly, when I started looking at some images, I noticed strange artefacts in the images, even at ISO 200. Now, this noise is mostly visible at 100% zoom and especially noticeable in the shadows.

The following are all 100% crops of JPEGs shot at ISO 200 straight out of the camera. Please expand the first two to see them at 100%. Lens is Lumix G 20mm f/1.7 (other lenses have the same issue). I have turned Noise filter OFF (as suggested by various posts, although this does not seem to make much difference). I have also tried shooting raw and converting using Olympus Viewer 2 and the noise remains - so I don't think it's a jpeg specific issue.

I'm particularly worried about what the artefacts are doing to skin tones (see last image below) - they just turn skin tones into splodges. I would have thought ISO 200 would be pretty clean; now, I don't know if this is just normal (in which case I will probably return the camera and get a refund), or a fault (I hope the latter, because I really do like the handling and size of this camera). So, what do you guys think - is this normal??

Many thanks,
-Steve

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow