ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Roland Ashdown
Forum MemberPosts: 85Gear list
Like?
1.9/43 Ltd... Back Focusing...
Jul 7, 2012

Hi.

I wonder if anyone might have some thoughts on this please?

Pentax (well, Johnsons Photopia) have my brand new K-5 and a used but (what seems) mint 1.9/43. They've had it for nearly 5 weeks now and that's an issue in itself! But here's the thing:

I tried the two items together and I was really impressed and pleased with my choice (coming from Canon 7D).

However, when looking at pics in PP they were heavily back-focused. So I used a LensAlign Pro setup I have and tested. Indeed, it was focusing in the next county behind the target! So I used the Micro Adjustment feature, and that helped but could not bring the focus point close enough within the allowable adjustable range.

So, as the body is under warrantee I sent it off to Pentax service centre and I sent the lens too to ask them to give it a once over just in case.

Now it turns out (from what they say) the body is in full working order but the lens is back focusing.

Can anyone explain to me how a fixed AF prime can back focus within the lens itself? I'm struggling to understand (because I'm not an expert) how this can be the case with the AF drive in the lens controlled by the body. I would have thought the body would be the culprit. Yes, I know the elements could be out but why would the service centre need to consult with Pentax on a routine lens adjustment process?

I'm asking as I think they are trying to get me to pay for something wrong with the body by using the lens as an excuse?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts
--
Roland
Share What You Know, Learn What You Don't.

Pentax K-5
Pentax SMC 43/1.9 Ltd

Roland Ashdown's gear list:Roland Ashdown's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited
Canon EOS 7D Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow