Post your fireworks pics!

Started Jul 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mike Hiran
Contributing MemberPosts: 817Gear list
Like?
Re: Mike
In reply to math guy, Jul 7, 2012

Thanks; I saw a little something in Flickr and basically what's involved is while taking a longish exposure (most of mine were between 2 and 5 seconds @ f5.6 + - a stop), turn the focus ring from either infinity to out of focus or from out of focus to infinity. Sometimes I went fast, sometimes I went slow... basically you're squeezing the bokeh to become more or less blurry as the firework explodes causing some areas of very sharp detail to others where it's just a dreamy blur.

Of course the cam was on a tripod and a shutter release in one hand while the other hand was on the focus ring just moving back and forth while trying to get the timing right. I tried changing the technique a bit so sometimes when I started the pic, I would turn the ring right away while other times I would wait a fraction of a second. Sometimes I would move the ring fast, other times slow. I was using the 77 ltd... I found at lower apertures the fuzzy bits would become way to big and blurry, so I finally settled on 5.6 and higher. Anyways, it was my first time doing it and I like the results. Of course my wrists were getting quite tired - I actually had to change hands in the middle of the show!

Hope that helps.

math guy wrote:

Mike Hiran wrote:

tried to use defocus and blur to change it up a bit...

I really like those, Mike. Could you explain your technique a little more?
Thanks.

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.

"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/josephschmitt

Mike Hiran's gear list:Mike Hiran's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow