Started Jul 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
maimou
Forum MemberPosts: 75Gear list
Like?
OM-D problems?
Jul 7, 2012

I was about to pull the trigger and purchase an OM-D kit with the 14-42 lens...

... but I've noticed quite a few comments in the forums about "lock-ups" and having to remove the battery. Some people even said they were removing the battery a few times a day due to the lock-ups.

Most people having problems seem to be using Panasonic lenses, but even people with Olympus and the kit lenses have reported lock-ups.

Is the general consensus that this is a fairly isolated problem, suggesting faulty workmanship with a few cameras (maybe a bad batch)... or are the majority of users having various degrees of lock-up problems, suggesting a common problem with firmware or, more seriously, a design fault?

Has Olympus confirmed whether or not there is a problem or a solution for those having lock-ups?

If Olympus have confirmed it is a firmware issue and an upgrade is on the way, then it should be safe to purchase and pull out the battery a few times if required until the firmware is updated.
If it is a hardware problem, I would rather wait until it is all sorted out.

I admit that I may be overly paranoid about this, but the last notebook computer and smartphone I purchased both had design faults which could not be rectified with a firmware upgrade (the notebook had a video card guaranteed to overheat and burn out and the smartphone just kept crashing out with a black screen of death).

Are we closer to knowing the extent of the problem and whether there is a solution coming?

maimou's gear list:maimou's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow