Started Jul 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 17,875Gear list
Like?
Why it's pointless planning - first time out with OMD
Jul 6, 2012

I finally managed to get out shooting with my new OMD and had hoped to shoot the Olympic rings on Tower Bridge at night. Well the rings were raised most of the evening so I wandered about feeling a little disgruntled and took a few shots of buildings and stuff. Fortunately for me I overheard a woman on her mobile talking about the lighting of the Shard that evening, to commemorate it's completion. I wandered over to London Bridge to try and find a decent spot but was a little late and it was packed.

Every decent spot was occupied by a DSLR toting enthusiast or a Japanese tourist armed with a NEX or Iphone. I set up my tripod behind the "front line" in the certain knowledge that my shots would include the tops of heads and not much of the Shard itself. This was also knowing that my tripod would be kicked and knocked as the crowd swelled by the minute. Sure enough, this is what happened so it wasn't looking good so far.

I then had a break when the crowd realised that the ensuing laser show was actually more of a "changing of the colour" of the Shard and not a spectacular in the mould of a Jean Michel Jarre extravaganza. The result was that some people became disinterested and wandered off and I grabbed a spot in the "front line". To cut an even longer story short I grabbed what I could and was very pleased with the OMD and how it performed. Here's a selection of my shots from the evening and the moral of the story is "don't bother planning, just go with it, hopefully it'll work out" or something like that...

All taken with the 7-14mm. The first and third one were handheld.The third one in particular might be of interest to people wondering about the effectiveness of the IBIS for stills on the OMD so I've included the exif data for that one. I wonder how that would stack up against a full frame camera in the same situation.

7mm, ISO 640, F4, 0.4 second.

-- hide signature --

Any problem on earth can be solved by a well aimed Pomegranate...
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow