Started Jul 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Noisey1
Regular MemberPosts: 267
Like?
Honest opionion PLZ, a77 vs...
Jul 6, 2012

Ok, I'm honestly trying to determine which camera to buy soon. I obviously like the k30 (features and expected IQ, based on the k-01), so thats one option. I already have several sony lenses including the minolta 50 1.7, so sony is another option. If I were going to buy sony 24mp, I would likely buy a77. The nex is missing too many dslr features, and the a65 lacks weather sealing which I would rather have.

So if I go sony, its a77, if I dont go sony, maybe the k30 (or wait longer for the k5II). Considering the k30 should be at least as good IQ wise as the k-01, and since I am too impatient to wait for the samples, heres a comparison with the a77&k-01.

Im not actually comparing noise as I already have crops of that recently. I'm comparing lower iso (1600 and under) detail, sharpness, overall ability to see small things. The reason I am focusing on this is bc this is one of the reasons to go higher MP in the first place. Neither myself or anybody I know has ever printed over a 20", so for me more MP is strictly a cropping deal. Cropping of course allows you to isolate a small section of the frame, enlarge it, and make what was small in the original photo, large and easy to see in a cropped photo. This can be very useful and is one reason I would like to have a higher MP camera for good light photog.

Now, I started at 1600 iso as that is likely the highest iso I would use the a77 at expecting relatively noise free photos. Im just looking for a second opinion (or 3rd, 4th ect) on if you can really see more in the a77 photo. If I remember, these are at 400% and of the coin to show how well small details are accurately reproduced. I also didnt want to downsample the a77 bc larger views of detail can make things easier to see, and this shouldnt be ignored. This is not a flame thread so if you arent contributing an honest answer, plz move along.

keep in mind, both were fairly well focused although neither was super sharp, check the dpr samples to see. Both were upsampled after cropping to enlarge.

Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 Sony SLT-A65 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow