What are your opinions on filters?

Started Jun 22, 2012 | Discussions thread
VisualNectarPhotography
Regular MemberPosts: 370Gear list
Like?
Re: What are your opinions on filters?
In reply to kimvette, Jul 6, 2012

kimvette wrote:

That's a different issue. Even the most passionate no-filter advocates accept that there are certain situations where it's convenient to have a 'sacrificial' filter so you can clean frequently and without the care a front element deserves. I read an article from one pro photographer who does that and has to change his filters twice a year because they get so badly scratched. (Which is not cheap, by the way!) This doesn't apply to most people, and it's not an argument for leaving a filter on every lens all the time.

-- hide signature --

Caution: Do not stare into laser with remaining eye.

True, I agree there is a place for protective filters (and I am pretty passionatly against them for the most part) I use them when shooting at ampitheatres where wind and dust are an issue and mainly when the lens has a front element that moves when zooming or focusing. That and hurricane blowers great for removing crud that will scratch filters! I always have mine in my pocket incase I have to do a quick clean.
--

Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.

VisualNectarPhotography's gear list:VisualNectarPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS 300D Nikon D2Hs Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow