Basic tripod and guided Astrophotography tips?

Started Jul 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AnakChan
Regular MemberPosts: 170
Like?
Basic tripod and guided Astrophotography tips?
Jul 6, 2012

Hi all,

I'm planning on trying some basic astrophotography with my D800E. Now in the old film and manual focus days I'm probably a lot more confident with astrophotography than the current generation.

Does anyone have any tips they can give me? I intend to use primarily a combination of 14-24/2.8, 28/1.4, and maybe the 24-70/2.8. Naturally I have a tripod but I'm probably going to use the Vixen Polarie Star Tracker ( http://www.vixenoptics.com/mounts/polarie.html ).

Questions I have in my mind :-

1) use noise reduction or not? Most samples seem to be "not" but why?
2) recommended tips on how to focus?
3) use LiveView or not?
4) recommended aperture setting? (I've been noticing usually around f/3.5-4?)
5) using just skylight filter or is a fog filter a must?
6) recommended ISO (esp with the D800E, can I try pushing to 3200/4000?)

7) recommended time of exposure? (say just to capture the Milky Way)? What is "too long" for D-SLR? Since with film I know about reciprocity failure but what about digital sensors?

8) what white balance to use? I see in sample astro pix, just "custom balanced" is stated but what Kelvin?

9) how long do batteries last in say 0-4C? If I'm out shooting for 2 hrs, is 1xbattery enough? No circumpolar shots.

10) I intend to use the timer to reduce mirror slap...enough? Or do I need remote cable?
11) I'm guessing I'll need to use the eyepiece shutter

Any other tips I should be aware of?

Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow