5D Mark III and in-camera HDR examples

Started Apr 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
SeaScout851
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,460
Like?
Re: 5D Mark III and in-camera HDR examples
In reply to rwbaron, Jul 6, 2012

Looking at the download page it appears that 3.11.31 is now available. I'll be trying that. But now I wonder why my version says 3.8???

Andy

rwbaron wrote:
Version 3.11.26.0 which you can download from Canon's website.

I did an edit on my post and included a quick sample.

Bob

SeaScout851 wrote:

Which version of DPP are you using? I'm using 3.8.0.0. I was not aware of an HDR tool in DPP.

Thanks

Andy

rwbaron wrote:

I don't know for certain but my guess is the DPP version offers more flexibility and the ability to make changes to the final output file in real time while making assessments on screen. You select your starting file, open the HDR tool which then provides a window to select two additional files and then have DPP do the blend. Once the blend is done you then have drop downs for the 5 different HDR presets (styles) as well as Tone/Color sliders for brightness, saturation, contrast and then Detail Enhancement sliders for strength, smoothness and fineness. You can make significant changes to the look by choosing different preset and playing with the sliders. For example, if you start with Art Vivid as your preset you get the obvious overcooked HDR look but then by moving the smoothness to a high value the look becomes very natural but punchy. It's been fun to play with and I suggest giving it a try as it is free :).

Bob

riknash wrote:

Is the DPP HDR the same as the in-camera HDR of the 5DIII? Just because both are from Canon may not mean they process the identical same way.

rwbaron wrote:

I don't have a 5D3 but have played with the new HDR tool in DPP with 7D files and was actually quite impressed. I did a -3 to +3 7 capture series on a tripod of a sunset over a farm field and found the results pretty good. I experimented with different combinations of 3 of the 7 files for different results. The nice thing about doing the blend in DPP is you have a range of adjustments offered above the simple styles to tailor the end result to your liking. I had no problem with obvious halos or soft areas either even though it was a breezy evening and I was slow in getting the bracket done (13 seconds). I can say the end result is miles ahead of my attempt at highlight recovery and shadow lift on the same files using CS5. There just isn't much color and detail information buried in those extreme shadows when you lift them 3 or 4 stops.

Bob
--
http://www.pbase.com/rwbaron

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
WowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow