I realized today that I don't need a higher megapixel camera!

Started Jul 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gary Dean Mercer Clark
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,247Gear list
Like?
I realized today that I don't need a higher megapixel camera!
Jul 6, 2012

I measured using Google Earth the distance from my apartment to where the fireworks were shot across Biscayne Bay. I used a 75-300mm lens and was shooting at 140mm for this image. The level of detail is amazing considering the distance of
2.71 miles ( 4.37 Kilometers) at night at iso 400 with the Sony A77.

Think about it. I was using a $249.00 "kit" lens, shooting at something nearly 3 miles away and at night at iso 400 and look at the level of detail! I really don't see the need for a higher megapixel camera. Better glass is the next step for me as I realize that above 24 megapixels produces huge images full of incredible detail! A larger sensor will only produce a larger image and it will need the absolute best lens glass to realize the higher resolution.

I'm impressed with the Sony A77. Only my Sigma SD1M producer higher resolution images with more detail than the Sony A77 but I needed image stabilization on all of my lens due to nerve damage, so I went with the A7 so I could handhold and still shoot and there are a ton of lenses I can shoot with compared to Sigma's limited image stabilized offerings at the moment. I've carefully looked at the image quality of the A77 and I plan on pushing the limits of what this camera can do as far as image quality--in other words, I will learn how to get the absolutely best results with this camera with practice. I will master the A77 and make it my bitch!

Gary Mercer

Gary Dean Mercer Clark's gear list:Gary Dean Mercer Clark's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +7 more
Sigma SD1 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow