Started Jul 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
SandyF
Forum ProPosts: 14,875Gear list
Like?
Re: Went to a local Street Fair - No Photography
In reply to T3, Jul 6, 2012

T3 wrote:

SandyF wrote:

You apparently aren't aware of this, but in the arts & crafts world, there have been problems for years of people copying not only "product" but also the display setup.... the booth. Easiest way to record good ideas to copy... go around and take photos of other people's work (and display booths).
Best regards, Sandy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann

LOL, oh, the cutthroat, competitive, dog-eat-dog world of arts & crafts!

Sorry, but that just comes with the territory. Paranoia over everyone who has a camera doesn't solve the "problem."

I have a friend who owns a scrapbooking supply company. I helped her out a few months ago at an arts & crafts industry convention (not open to the public). EVERYONE walks around with cameras, taking photos of products, ideas, or displays they see or like at the various booths! NO ONE freaks out about it.

Trade show selling supplies may be a different situation than booths selling original art work. I made and sold items in craft shows for some 10 years and I've been chairman of a few fairly large shows too. If someone came up to a booth with original art work and snapped away, I can see how the artist/craftsman could be upset, or in advance, post 'no photography.'

On the other hand, photography is welcome and expected when you're demonstrating. I've demonstrated in colonial costume (at George Washington's Mt. Vernon) and photos are probably around the world LOL.

That's a different situation than someone taking closeups of someone else's original jewelry or items at an indoor craft show, in my opinion. If I saw a booth saying "no photography" just from politeness I wouldn't take photos of that booth. Simple courtesy.

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD9 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow