Why do most people think Nikon's has better AF than Canon's?

Started Jul 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Smiller4128
Regular MemberPosts: 363Gear list
Like?
Why do most people think Nikon's has better AF than Canon's?
Jul 6, 2012

Hi there, this is going to sound somewhat odd, but please here me out till the end. I'm currently in the market for my first DSLR. Something to get into as somewhat of a bobbie, but at the same time i'm sot sure if it's going to develop into something super serious at all. With that being said, I'm looking at getting either a Canon or Nikon DSLR and have pretty much narrowed it down to either the Nikon D5100 or the new Canon T4i. Now this is where I'm going to sound odd, I want so much to be a Nikon person as everyone I speak to seems to think "Nikon is king". So naturally I want to lean towards going with a Nikon system. However, after going to the stores many many times and trying out both in my hands...I cannot get away from the feeling that the Canon system is the clear winner. It seems their models are a little simpler in design but they make it look aesthetically pleasing and superior in my opinion. Also the menu system seems neater than whatever weird on screen system Nikon seems to be going with. I also think that the lenses look cleaner and nicer as well. The Canon also seems to fit so much better and more comfortable in my hands as well. My main question in all this though is that everyone seems to think the Nikon D5100 has a much better AF and better looking photos than the Canon's (especially compared to the T3i which is very similar to the T4i). However, I don't know if its just me or if I'm somehow messing up the proper settings of the Nikon, but to me, the Nikon always seems to take longer when focusing and the pictures don't seem to be as bright as those with the T4i. Is this possible or is it just some weird perception of mine? As far as my decision about Nikon vs. Canon, I'm still torn between the two.

Smiller4128's gear list:Smiller4128's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i) Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow