Started Jul 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Michael Harvey
Contributing MemberPosts: 539Gear list
Like?
Alternative to Nikon MB-d12 - Got One!
Jul 6, 2012

I'd be lying if I didn't admit to being something of an "optical snob"!

I don't buy second tier lenses or other accessories. If it doesn't have a Nikon or Nikkor label on it - fuggetaboutit!

OK - that has now come to a screeching halt!!!

The price of the MB-d12 grip and battery pack made even my mouth drop open...and I just could not figure out what could possibly make it that expensive.
Soooo, I ordered one of the Meike "knockoffs" for $89. just to see.

I've been using it for two days and it fits perfectly, handles nicely and performs flawlessly.

What's MORE - if there is ANY difference in the Meike and the "brand name MB-d12", I haven't found it. They look, fit and function IDENTICALLY!

I saw a post on another forum that referred to the 'joystick' on the Meike as 'trashy'.
Ummmmmmm - it's exactly the same as the one on the Nikon-branded grip.

Seems to me Nikon is putting the squeeze on its' fan base for all the market will bear.
I'm thinking this is not going to endear the company to anyone.

Back to the Meike: there was some confusion about the specs on the websites offering this product. Some of the info simply does not apply to this grip.
It has provisions for either one additional EN-EL 15 battery or 8 AA batteries.

The battery power in the grip does not "kick in" until the battery in the camera is exhausted.

Contrary to some online instruction sheets, you do NOT remove the camera's battery cover. All of the power and command functions work through the multi-pin connector on the camera base.

Can't prove it - but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Meike is the actual supplier of the Nikon-branded grip.

-- hide signature --

Mike Harvey

Michael Harvey's gear list:Michael Harvey's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow