Track & Field - 5D3 & 200mm f2.0

Started Jul 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Deorum
Contributing MemberPosts: 590Gear list
Like?
Re: Nice Shots...Some Thoughts
In reply to steve88, Jul 6, 2012

+1

1/6400 is an exaggeration, so f2 and iso 400 can go away.

In sports even 1/1000 is more more than enough (i have shot with much less) so you can figure out what you may lose.

framing is nice, but could be better in some cases, an aperture has a nice effect, but some points could be better, it's not nice to have 1 athlete in focus, another athlete totally out of focus if the second is at the front.

very nice photos nevertheless, and a fabulus lens.

steve88 wrote:

First off, don't take this the wrong way please. If your main goal was to show the sophistication of the focusing system, you have certainly succeeded in that regard.

However, to make these photos even better I would do some cropping on photos 2, 3, 7, 9, and 17. In those shots, you have too many heads/arms/legs chopped off and that distracts from the main focal point of each image (the runners in the center portion of each photo). I would have also used a slightly smaller aperture (maybe 3.2 or 4.0) to bring an extra runner into more focus but that's just personal preference.

Anyway, I know you didn't ask for feedback but as an avid (amateur) sports photographer I just thought I would offer some constructive criticism. My apologies in advance if you are offended...cheers!

-- hide signature --
 Deorum's gear list:Deorum's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow