Tried out the 75mm f1.8 yesterday (images)

Started Jul 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chris_in_Osaka
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,799Gear list
Like?
Tried out the 75mm f1.8 yesterday (images)
Jul 6, 2012

The new Zuiko 75mm f1.8 is officially out today (July 6th) here in Japan. I was at my favorite camera shop here in Osaka yesterday just as they received the first shipment. The sales person opened a box and let me try it out. Since I'm a regular there, they don't mind if I step outside the shop to shoot a few images.

The lens is very nicely made. Feels like a classy piece of glass. The imaged are also pretty darn sharp.

I'd love to have this lens but I'm personally having trouble with the pricing. As is, it costs exactly the same as the Canon 135mm f2 “L” lens which is not only a good portrait lens, but may possibly be the best “L” series lens out there (I often see it referred to as the “lord of the rings”). But, the Canon comes with a hood and case, the Zuiko comes with nothing. The hood is an additional ¥7,500 (close to $100) and the lens cap comes to ¥3000 (roughly $40). As a person who also uses a 5D Mark II, I find it hard to justify at the moment.

On the other hand, I haven't used my 5DII since picking up the OM-D, so, if I get rid of it I'll seriously consider adding this lens.

Here are a few images, each followed by actual size crops. They are all unedited straight out of camera JPEG snaps.

-- hide signature --

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-105mm L, 70-200mm f/4L IS, EF, 100mm f2, Tokina 16-28mm f2.8.
Olympus O-MD E-M5, E-PL3, 12-50mm, 14-42mm II, 17mm, 45mm f1.8.
Ricoh GR-D
Sony DSC-V3 (used for IR)

Chris_in_Osaka's gear list:Chris_in_Osaka's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow