MysteryRider
Regular MemberPosts: 252
Like?
Re: 2.6GHz vs 2.3GHz Macbook Retina
In reply to Najinsky, Jul 6, 2012
-- hide signature --

I just bought a mac pro retina.
My own justification for what I got.

The processers are pretty equal not really enough that a human would notice.
did 8g memory, 256 disk, the vidio cards were all the same.

I got mine otd for $2200.00 with an external dvd plus some extras. The next one up was $2800 and the top was $3700.00 ( i think, it might have been $3500).

I use an external drive so the disk size isn't an issue. The memory, processer and most of all the video card are the things I needed. I didn't care about doing an external dvd. I looked at the mac pro and it was the same price with a 512 disk and little hotter cpu and a DVD but I wanted the retina screen. So far it is soooo worth it.

The only things mine will have on it are Lightroom 4.1, PSE 10 and windows office. I don't do any games, but I will do netflix on it.

There are issues with heat from the video cards. In fact my old pc had major problems running elements 10. Once the video card heated up it was all over unless I wanted to wait forever for things to load. I think some of the older machines like my dell pc are having to use cold mats to run some of the video intensive software now.

My catalog was very small. I don't keep my pics in elements catalog. I don't know how LR will be yet.

I have had the pc for 24 hours and LR and Elements are lightning fast on it.

I am currently building the catalog in LR. I don't know how it will be with 1000 pics yet but I will find out soon enough.

Laurie

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow