Consumer Reports Sony SLR ratings

Started Jul 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 17,884Gear list
Like?
Re: I agree
In reply to rolleiman, Jul 6, 2012

rolleiman wrote:

Hey, I just follow[ed] their car stuff and I DO know a lot about cars. I don't have time to get into detail on their failings; just that their actual testing is often done by the technically limited. So for me it's about 70/30 hearsay/hands on. And the hands may not be very knowledgeable about the product in question.

It's a business; it has its limitations, as Dirty Harry would say. If you want to know about cars, read a car specific publication with staff that have specific expertise. If you want to know cameras, same thing. If you want the latest market noise on everything from hairdryers to hifi read CR.

You are absolutely right. Their criteria for rating cars is completely different than it would be for a car enthusiast. I even find their reliability ratings highly suspect because they rely on people volunteering information, a totally unscientific and statistically invalid method. All in all a nearly worthless publication.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow