Started Jul 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ezra R
Senior MemberPosts: 2,270Gear list
Like?
My mini-review of TG-1 [many imgs]
Jul 6, 2012

Hi all. Was in the market for a 'simple' digital camera for an upcoming vacation which will involve a lot of beach time. Ergo, I didnt want to worry about my E-P3 or such getting ruined. So, I decided on the Olympus TG-1 (over the Canon D20). Naturally, since I have it before my vaca begins, I decided to take a few snaps en route home from work today, and also in the evening of my kids.

These are all SOOC, JPGs; no photoshopping at all. Again, my goal is to use this as a quick and simple camera; not to fiddle with lots of manual settings. However, while there was a P mode button, and an iAuto button, as well as the ability to select how many MPs per image, whether you want flash... there was just one settings I wanted but nor here (but can live without). Namely, the ability to make photos "Vivid" or "Natural" or "Muted" in the 'film selection'. There is none. Yes, there are Art filters and a Candlelight mode, but not the same. Nevertheless, here are some shots.

My net conclusion: very good camera. Not the 'sharpest' lens, but no one should expect that. However, you can take carefree shots without worrying about your camera getting sand in them (or the kids dropping it) and they will look quite good.

Comments welcome...

Full Flickr set (with Hi Res images) here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ezra36/sets/72157630441929478/

Macro (yes, those are my daughters hand waiting to dismantle the M&Ms):

Chrysler building, from East side. I see hundreds of tourists per week taking photos from this exact vantage point on the street. So, whattheheck, I pointed the TG-1 at the sky and fired away. I was impressed with the nice IQ of sky blue, clouds and building. Nothing was terribly overblown.

Macro of Tomatoes from my garden after watering. (The Hi Res of this at FLickr is unreal.

Bean sprout - the vegetable or the kid? (Indoors, no flash; available lighting only; Auto WB)

End of day at camp...

Birthday cupcakes. Indoor lighting; camera set to Burst mode. Good detail on the smoke...

Train in Grand Central in NYC (set to Magic/Sparkle)

Ezra R's gear list:Ezra R's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Canon PowerShot D20 Olympus PEN E-P3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow