ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kobeson
Regular MemberPosts: 389
Like?
Some questions about the Tamron 24-70 on a Canon 5D2/5D3
Jul 5, 2012

So how does this lens handle:

a) landscapes stopped down? - is it sharp corner to corner?

b) portraits at 70mm wide open, and stopped down? - is the blur nice enough wide open? is it tack sharp stopped down?

c) baby shots around 50mm wide open? - is there enough separation and nice blur?

I guess, apart from having the versatility of a standard zoom, the main reasons I am interested in a 24-70 lens is for landscapes at the wide end, portraits at the tele end, and wide open shots of our daughter. I tried 3 Sigma 50 1.4's and all of them had focus issues on my 5D3. I still have a nifty fity, but am not the biggest fan really, it is just ok.

I upgraded from a 550D + 10-22, but to be honest a lot of the time I found the widest FL (16mm equiv.) to be just too distorted. Sometimes it worked a treat, but I reckon I could live with 24mm. I would get a 17-40 if I craved wider, even though I don't want a lens with soft corners.

I have been waiting for the Canon mk II reviews, but the Tamron looks pretty good as a much cheaper alternative - and for a bit more than the Canon mk II I could also grab a 35L, which would make up for the Tamron's oniony bokeh!

So is the Tamron 24-70 + 35L going to be better than the Canon 24-70 II? I guess only time will tell, but I feel like I am waiting forever!! (and now even longer! :()

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Daniel

Canon EOS 5D Mark III | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L Macro IS USM | S 50mm f1.4 | Canon 600EX-RT | Nissin Di622 Mark II

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow