Started Jul 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Freneticburn
Regular MemberPosts: 180Gear list
Like?
photo paper recommendations
Jul 5, 2012

I recently bought a Canon Pro9000 mk2 and am wondering what kinds of paper people find great or which ones to avoid. I'm not into black & white photos and haven't really thought about matte or canvas paper yet so I've only been working with glossy paper so far. I've only done a little bit of testing myself with 8.5x11 glossy photo paper but the results kind of surprised me. With the exact same photo I compared Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy II to Epson Photo Paper Glossy (using the settings on the printer for the Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy II on both brands of paper) I found the cheaper Epson paper looked better. Even numerous people pointed out the Epson when I asked them which they thought looked better. I fully expected the Canon paper to look better considering it was more expensive and using printer settings specifically for that paper.

Other than those I have some 8x10 Canon Pro Platinum paper and 4x6 HP Advanced Photo Paper, Glossy. I've only made one print of the Pro Platinum paper and was impressed with how it looked but it wasn't a photo I had printed with the other brands so I can't really compare them well. I'm really looking forward to printing some 13x19 but I am also considering semi-gloss paper. I was wondering if the Pro Platinum paper would be worth the price or if Epson or someone has better offerings or value for 13x19s? Also what kinds of settings do people use on this printer? Like specifically printing colorful fireworks. Is vivid photo worth using? Trying all the settings and printing redundant photos for comparisons is expensive and I'd rather learn from others mistakes and discoveries. Any advice would be appreciated.

Freneticburn's gear list:Freneticburn's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 550D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow