Started Jul 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KENTGA
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,541Gear list
Like?
Great fireworks tutorial for your next fireworks photoing
Jul 5, 2012

I got this video from Adorama and tried it out for the 4th and the suggestions were great. Here is the link and my comments follow:

http://www.adorama.com/ALC/Article.aspx?googleid=0012601&alias=8-Tips-For-Mastering-Firework-Photography-AdoramaTV&utm_source=ET&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=EmailALC070112

1. I shoot 7D and 40D and I set them to bulb:

7D has a "B" (bulb) setting on the dial
40D- turn to Tv and adjust to "bulb" Not sure what the setting is for Nikon

If you shoot Manual, the photo will "make" to everlong you have the shutter speed set to.

2. Set aperture to f/10

3. Set ISO to 100

4. Use a tripod

5. Use a cable release

6. Use the widest angle lens you have and set to as wide as you have

7. Set to manual focus and turn to infinity and then back off slightly. I used a Canon 10-22 and set mine to the left of the infinity scale where the line makes a 90 degree turn.

8. Most of my shots were 4 to 7 seconds. When you see the fireworks going from the stage, depress the shutter and keep it depressed until the fireworks fizzle and others start---- usually 4 to 7 seconds and then release the button and depress it for the next shot and so on.

9. If the shot is very bright, you may get some blinkies, but I shoot RAW + JPEG and I can adjust the blinkies.

10. You'll love the results.

Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D +14 more
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow