Started Jul 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Douglas69
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?
Noise control only working on JPGs
Jul 5, 2012

I shot a wedding a few weeks ago where the priest insisted on no flash. OK so he also turned off the interior lighting! I wouldn't have worried with my D700 but I sold it to get a D800 and the new camera hadn't arrived so I used my D7000.

Noise has never really bothered me with FF sensor. Even at ISO 3200. Using ISO 1600 setting with the D7000 and shooting RAW I expected similar performance.

I was alarmed to discover noise like high speed film used to produce. Previously I only used the 7000 for video clips and wasn't aware it didn't apply noise control to RAW images, only JPEGs.

After I discovered the noise being exceptionally bad, I started doing some tests and found the inbuilt noise control worked very well when set to high - even set to normal but only on jpg files, not raw.

Has anyone else found this and have you got a fix for it?

I've included clips of a picture as example of what I mean. Although the EXIF says flask was fired, it was actually switched off ... No flash used.

After experimenting I found shooting smaller images also helped.

Douglas.

Douglas69's gear list:Douglas69's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more
Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow