Started Jul 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kerry Pierce
Forum ProPosts: 17,212Gear list
Like?
folder/file sync for Windows
Jul 5, 2012

I normally copy my photos to backup drives manually and I usually do it immediately after I download my CF cards to the computer. That means that when I review them later, I might delete a bunch that doesn't get deleted on the backup folders. I end up wasting a lot of space and then when I edit, I don't always immediately backup the edits to all of the backup folders.

I copy the files to internal and external drives and plan to also copy to internal drives on a file server on my network.

I've looked at a number of file sync and folder sync utilities, but there are so many that figured I should come here for help.

Please advise your favorite file sync program.

Ideally, I want something that will work across a Windows network, on Vista and Win7 machines and to both USB 2 and 3 interfaced external drives. I favor reliability and accuracy over speed and don't care if it is shareware, so long as the price is reasonable. I don't want to have to worry about it deleting the wrong files on either the source or the target folders and I don't want it to alter my folder structure, use compression or encryption. I just want a simple program that will look at my source folder and then compare it to a target folder, adding or deleting files on the target to make it identical to the source.

thanks
Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 +11 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow