T4i vs. NEX7 - Will Sony beat Rebel?

Started Jul 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 4,724Gear list
Like?
Will Sony beat Rebel? No
In reply to Pete4, Jul 5, 2012

The Canon G1 X represents the state of Canon’s sensor development, and yes it outperforms the Sony sensors. The real world output from Canon’s cameras have shown time and time again, that DxOMark scores are not an accurate indicator of the performance of Canon cameras.

Sony’s SLT camera’s RAW files all suffer from the 1/3 light lost to the pellicle mirror. Sony does a remarkable job compensating for it in their in camera JPG engine, but, the handicap is always going to show up in the RAW files.

As for the T4i, remember Canon was able to basically match the output of the T3i, while integrating a phase detect focus sensor into the image sensor. Integrating the focus sensor with the image sensor, is going to create inherent limitations to the sensor. I don’t believe you can have gapless microlenses, and still have light reach the focus sensors. So, just like Sony had to give up some light reaching the photosites with the pellicle mirror, Canon most likely had to compromise on some light reaching its photosites to integrate the phase detect focus sensor with the image sensor.

When Canon releases a APS image only sensor, using the tech of the G1 X sensor it will be truly impressive.

Canon isn’t behind in sensor development, nor have they been.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow