Help! Red overcast Nex-7

Started Jul 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mark_McD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,758Gear list
Like?
Re: First-curtain shutter issue?
In reply to dj0502, Jul 5, 2012

I wouldn't say "relax dude" when people are trying to help you rule out potential issues. When you ask for help and receive it, you can either utilize it or not.

As for your issue, it's not a broken sensor or anything.

You shot an indoor volleyball game, which used both incandescent and fluorescent lighting. Your result? One shot has some yellow but no magenta in it, one has no yellow but lots of magenta in it. If you notice, areas of high magenta are around the same areas of the wall. This is why it avoided being corrected by rotating the screen.

This is a grade A example of uses for lightroom's (or similar software with similar features) graduated wb adjustment.

It's the same as shooting an image with areas that are shaded and those that are not. You'll have cool spots (shaded) and yellow spots (unshaded). You'll have to correct one or the other.

I did a wedding reception recently where this was problematic, though I composed the shot there knowing how it would be corrected in post. Ironically after displaying the corrected version, the customer decided she liked the "vibrant yellow trees" instead of the corrected ones.

corrected (there's still one area I left, to the far left):

uncorrected (and uncropped):

thing to note in the above example: wb was set for the shaded areas, not unshaded.

-- hide signature --
 Mark_McD's gear list:Mark_McD's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Canon Selphy CP800 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow