30% Keeper rate with 5D2 Center point AI Servo? Please help me : )

Started Jul 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ohcello
Senior MemberPosts: 1,539Gear list
Like?
30% Keeper rate with 5D2 Center point AI Servo? Please help me : )
Jul 5, 2012

I know the 5D2 is not a sports or action geared body, but I still find my keeper rate dismally low when trying to follow my kids around. I have used several outdoor telephoto lenses in the past years (70-300mm USM, Sigma 70-200mm HSM, even the 85mm f/1.8) and while some of these lenses are not state of the art in AF speed, i still would expect a bit better keeper rate.

Any comment / ideas?

I shoot wide open sometimes, but stop down other to try and improve my success rate. Shoot at 2.8 at 200mm with the Sigma was very challenging (yes, I AF microadjusted it)...

I have tried different aiming points (face, eye, body, etc)

Maybe this is all I can expect for kids moving around and live with it and/or move to the Nikon D300/ Nikon D700/ Canon 7D, etc. in the same price rate as the 5d2 (Sorry I cannot afford the 5DIII or D800 right now)

ohcello's gear list:ohcello's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow