Started Jul 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kartikmani2000
Junior MemberPosts: 45Gear list
Like?
Lockup finding on OM-D
Jul 5, 2012

Until yesterday, I had no problems with the lockup issue with bulletproof reliability. YEsterday changed everything. I was at a friend's when the OM-D shutter locked up. It seemed to be unable to receive any light on the sensor, even though the cap was clearly off. Interestingly, if the lens was taken off the sensor, it would sense light and actuate the shutter. In fact, merely rotating the lens to move the contacts off would be enough to get it to "un-lock". The problem was that this would also kill the manual focus as both by PL 14-150 and Oly 12-50 are focus-by-wire. The way unlocked the camera was hooking it back up to my Nokton (which off course has only mechanical contacts).

At least on my camera, it appears clear that it is an electrical contact issue resulting in the camera turning the sensor's output off. Interestingly, the camera was still adjusting shutter speeds indicating that the sensor was not "blind" but merely "stupid" with regards to the incident light. In a situation where there was no electrical communication with the lens, it did fine. It was a hot day but this even happened at night and with a full battery to boot.

Kartikmani2000's gear list:Kartikmani2000's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Leica M9-P Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-150mm F3.5-5.6 Asph Mega OIS +8 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow