Backup external hard drive failure...what happened?

Started Jul 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HEA-45
Regular MemberPosts: 239Gear list
Like?
Backup external hard drive failure...what happened?
Jul 5, 2012

Last year I purchased a new, external hard drive ($100 US) for use as a backup of my photographs. Every couple of weeks the latest files from my (7 year old) Windows desktop PC are copied to the drive. A month ago I replaced our family, Windows desktop PC with a new Hewlett Packard laptop. After hooking up the external drive to the laptop (the external drive was used once for mass data transfer), Windows Explorer on my desktop PC will no longer acknowledge the hard drive; hence the latest photographs cannot be copied to it. I tried several things: rebooting my PC, turning the drive on and off, ensuring cable connections, etc. I even tried to re-format the external hard drive. Does anybody know why the drive failed? Can anybody suggest a solution?

HEA-45's gear list:HEA-45's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +10 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow