Pixel peeping pays off.....got a new 18-55 kit lens.

Started Jul 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OvinceZ
Senior MemberPosts: 2,582Gear list
Like?
Pixel peeping pays off.....got a new 18-55 kit lens.
Jul 5, 2012

I've been taking photos with my NEX7 and kit lens since June 9th. It wasn't until last week when I could view my photos on a Dell 30 inch monitor that I saw the left 1/4 of the frame blurry. So I started to see if this softness was in other photos I took. Yep!

We assume our new lenses are ok so any out of focus areas are blamed on lack of depth of field or camera or subject movement. I assembled a folder of photos demonstrating the phenomenon and went to the Sony Store in Sydney. The salesman suggested we take some more photos outside to make sure it confirms the softness. Yep. So he got a new NEX7 and retook the photos. We weren't convinced the new camera was sharper. Finally I had a go with a new lens and it didn't blur the left side. So I took the new lens home and was pleased with the outcome.

While at the store the salesman put a 24 Zeiss lens on my camera and took a few photos. Now that lens is sharp! Would be a great walk around lens. Cost about $1000 which seems fair for the quality. It is about the same size as the 18-55 lens so it fits like a glove.

Sample photos to follow.

Vince

OvinceZ's gear list:OvinceZ's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +14 more
Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow